Champagnac la Rivière
CHAMPAGNAC, the county capital of the canton of Oradour-sur-Vayres, has an area of 2,446 hectares and a population of 1,793. Its altitude is, near the village, 374 meters above sea level; but it goes up to 472 next to Permangle.
- Ecclesiastical History
Champagnac, called in 1498 Sainte-Marie-de-champagnac, was in the former archpriest of Nontron. There was a priory of girls, formerly under the patronage of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, and later under that of St. This priory was united with the Abbatial Mense of the Rule in 1527.
The parish had the same patrons as the priory. By the end of the 18th century, there were 1,800 communicants (about 2,400 inhabitants). Anne de Samathie (de Saint-Mathieu), widow of Yrieix de Chouly, knight, seigneur of Permangle, Champagnac and governor of the city of Limoges, had founded in this church, on December 23, 1680, in honour of Saint Mathieu, a vicariate for the service of the parish.
This foundation was then increased by Anne de Ferrières. Their heirs named the holders. In 1700 and 1726 Anne Thérèse de Chouly de Permangle, widow of Charles-Joseph de Ferrières, Marquis de Sauveboeuf, Baron de Pierrebuffière, Aigueperse, Chéronnac, and Congoussac, did just that.
The parish priest of Champagnac was appointed by the bishop of Limoges in 1310. But it was the abbess of the Rule who then exercised this right in 1504, 1566, 1630, 1659, 1661, 1693, 1707, 1743.
Here is the name of the known priests:
- Pierre Jude, 1630.
- N… Garissot in 1696.
- N… Chaveroche in 1731.
- Antoine Delbos in 1735.
- Pierre Besson, appointed in 1745, resigned to the next in 1785.
- Goïal Besson was deported during the Resolution for refusing to take an oath.
- At Concordat, Bishop du Bourg appointed Jean Sauviat, who had been deported. - He died there in October 1814
- Jean Marquet, appointed in 1814.
- Then there is. in 1822, N... Port, died in 1828.
- N… Combepapon, in 1826 and 1829.
- N… Perrot or Perrault in 1829 and 1834.
- Michel Roche, 1834 and 1839.
- Jean François-Isidore du Bouchaud du Mazaubrun was appointed in 1839.
- Emile Larue, 1878.
- Léopold Condat, 1878.
- Léosthène du Bouchaud du Mazaubrun, 1882.
- Arthur Charzat, 1896.
The church of Champagnac is in Romanesque style of the twelfth century, with many alterations of the second half of the fifteenth. The nave consists of four bays with a complete collateral on the north side and two side chapels on the south side. The arched arches that separate the nave from the collateral have a slight tendency to the warhead and rest on large cylindrical pillars. The apse, semi-circular, is vaulted in half-dome, at the bottom of which one notices, on the North side, a Romanesque arcature. The main gate, like the nave and choir, dates from the first construction.
In the 15th century, three pointed pointed windows in flamboyant style were opened in the North side wall and the vaults were redone, which today are replaced by bad panelling. The bell tower, placed in front of the choir, on the first span of the nave, is square in shape and appears to be part of the first construction; however, a long pointed window, open on the south side, shows the 13th century style.
The two side chapels of the South, in flamboyant style, were restored in the seventeenth century, and on the lintel of a door, in the West, one reads this inscription: "Sr Dumas made me do, 1618."
The little bell of Champagnac bears this inscription: Ego sum quia in tanto regimine prœvalui. - Godfather, Jude de Lajudie, mayor. Godmother, dame Jaubert, Port, rector ecclesiœ. May 1826. - Melted by Bonnin with the money of Limoges, in the workshop of M. Parant.»
On the fat one reads: Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis, 1748, - Besson, rector. Godfather, François Jude, seigneur de La Rivière. Godmother, Marie-Geneviève de Vassan, Marquise de Mirabeau, represented by Judge de Laubanie.”
- Civil history
On March 14, 1679, Fr. Boniface, prior of the Augustinians of Limoges, pronounced in the church of Champagnac the funeral oration of Sir Yrieix Chouly de Permangle, governor of the city of Limoges, true type of Christian hero. The orator spoke in front of Charles-Joseph de Ferrières marquis de Sauveboeuf, nephew of the deceased. The latter, who lived in the castle of Brie, had married in this same church in 1673 Thérèse Chouly de Permangle, who died in 1737 and was also buried in the church.
Erminsinde, daughter of the seigneur of Champagnac, married Aymeric II, Viscount of Rochechouart, and their son Hildegaire, who was seigneur of Champagnac because of his mother, lived in 1094 and 1100. Later, in 1655, we find Yrieix Chouly, a knight, who was lord of Monchasty and Permangle of his leader, of Puymoreau by his wife, of Brie and Champagnac by acquisition.
Chouly carries azure to the silver fasce surmounted by three poppy flowers alike and a gold chestnut leaf in point. His heirs retained the title of lords of Brie and Champagnac.