Pays of Châlus

The Country of Châlus is situated on the territory of top-Limousin and gathers the following municipalities :

  • CHÂLUS
  • PAGEAS
  • DOURNAZAC
  • CHAMPSAC
  • LES CARS 
  • FLAVIGNAC
  • BUSSIÈRE-GALANT
  • SAINT-NICOLAS COURBEFY
  • CHAMPAGNAC LA RIVIERE
  • LAVIGNAC

The volunteers of our association pursue their research on the history, the heritage, the legends, the local personalities of his municipalities. If you wish to send us any information... To contact us.

Categories

  • Champagnac la Rivière

    CHAMPAGNAC, the county capital of the canton of Oradour-sur-Vayres, has an area of 2,446 hectares and a population of 1,793. Its altitude is, near the village, 374 meters above sea level; but it goes up to 472 next to Permangle.

    • Ecclesiastical History

    Champagnac, called in 1498 Sainte-Marie-de-champagnac, was in the former archpriest of Nontron. There was a priory of girls, formerly under the patronage of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin, and later under that of St. This priory was united with the Abbatial Mense of the Rule in 1527.

    The parish had the same patrons as the priory. By the end of the 18th century, there were 1,800 communicants (about 2,400 inhabitants). Anne de Samathie (de Saint-Mathieu), widow of Yrieix de Chouly, knight, seigneur of Permangle, Champagnac and governor of the city of Limoges, had founded in this church, on December 23, 1680, in honour of Saint Mathieu, a vicariate for the service of the parish.

    This foundation was then increased by Anne de Ferrières. Their heirs named the holders. In 1700 and 1726 Anne Thérèse de Chouly de Permangle, widow of Charles-Joseph de Ferrières, Marquis de Sauveboeuf, Baron de Pierrebuffière, Aigueperse, Chéronnac, and Congoussac, did just that.

    The parish priest of Champagnac was appointed by the bishop of Limoges in 1310. But it was the abbess of the Rule who then exercised this right in 1504, 1566, 1630, 1659, 1661, 1693, 1707, 1743.

    Here is the name of the known priests:
    - Pierre Jude, 1630.
    - N… Garissot in 1696.
    - N… Chaveroche in 1731.
    - Antoine Delbos in 1735.
    - Pierre Besson, appointed in 1745, resigned to the next in 1785.
    - Goïal Besson was deported during the Resolution for refusing to take an oath.
    - At Concordat, Bishop du Bourg appointed Jean Sauviat, who had been deported. - He died there in October 1814
    - Jean Marquet, appointed in 1814.
    - Then there is. in 1822, N... Port, died in 1828.
    - N… Combepapon, in 1826 and 1829.
    - N… Perrot or Perrault in 1829 and 1834.
    - Michel Roche, 1834 and 1839.
    - Jean François-Isidore du Bouchaud du Mazaubrun was appointed in 1839.
    - Emile Larue, 1878.
    - Léopold Condat, 1878.
    - Léosthène du Bouchaud du Mazaubrun, 1882.
    - Arthur Charzat, 1896.

    The church of Champagnac is in Romanesque style of the twelfth century, with many alterations of the second half of the fifteenth. The nave consists of four bays with a complete collateral on the north side and two side chapels on the south side. The arched arches that separate the nave from the collateral have a slight tendency to the warhead and rest on large cylindrical pillars.  The apse, semi-circular, is vaulted in half-dome, at the bottom of which one notices, on the North side, a Romanesque arcature. The main gate, like the nave and choir, dates from the first construction.

    In the 15th century, three pointed pointed windows in flamboyant style were opened in the North side wall and the vaults were redone, which today are replaced by bad panelling. The bell tower, placed in front of the choir, on the first span of the nave, is square in shape and appears to be part of the first construction; however, a long pointed window, open on the south side, shows the 13th century style.

    The two side chapels of the South, in flamboyant style, were restored in the seventeenth century, and on the lintel of a door, in the West, one reads this inscription: "Sr Dumas made me do, 1618."

    The little bell of Champagnac bears this inscription: Ego sum quia in tanto regimine prœvalui. - Godfather, Jude de Lajudie, mayor. Godmother, dame Jaubert, Port, rector ecclesiœ. May 1826. - Melted by Bonnin with the money of Limoges, in the workshop of M. Parant.»

    On the fat one reads: Sancta Maria, ora pro nobis, 1748, - Besson, rector. Godfather, François Jude, seigneur de La Rivière. Godmother, Marie-Geneviève de Vassan, Marquise de Mirabeau, represented by Judge de Laubanie.”

    • Civil history

    On March 14, 1679, Fr. Boniface, prior of the Augustinians of Limoges, pronounced in the church of Champagnac the funeral oration of Sir Yrieix Chouly de Permangle, governor of the city of Limoges, true type of Christian hero. The orator spoke in front of Charles-Joseph de Ferrières marquis de Sauveboeuf, nephew of the deceased. The latter, who lived in the castle of Brie, had married in this same church in 1673 Thérèse Chouly de Permangle, who died in 1737 and was also buried in the church.

    Erminsinde, daughter of the seigneur of Champagnac, married Aymeric II, Viscount of Rochechouart, and their son Hildegaire, who was seigneur of Champagnac because of his mother, lived in 1094 and 1100.  Later, in 1655, we find Yrieix Chouly, a knight, who was lord of Monchasty and Permangle of his leader, of Puymoreau by his wife, of Brie and Champagnac by acquisition.

    Chouly carries azure to the silver fasce surmounted by three poppy flowers alike and a gold chestnut leaf in point. His heirs retained the title of lords of Brie and Champagnac.

  • Champsac

    CHAMPSAC, the county town of the canton of Oradour-sur-Vayres, has 2,593 hectares of land and 1,558 inhabitants. Its elevation above the sea is 293 metres towards its northern limit and 402 metres at its southern end. (www.champsac.fr)

    Ecclesiastical History 

    Champsac was a parish priest of the former archpriest of Nontron, whose patronal feast was the Decolouration of Saint John. By the end of the 18th century, it had 1,400 communicants (about 1,867 inhabitants). The bishop of Limoges always appointed the parish priests; there are appointments made by him from 1500 until the revolution.

    These are the ones whose names are known :
    - Nicolas du Puy-Faucon, died in 1341.
    - Martial de Mons, before 1540.
    - François de La Roche took possession in 1555.
    - Jean Texier, who was then canon of the cathedral, 1573.
    - François de Brie, Doctor of Theology, 1628-1640.
    – N… Pinot, 1663.
    - N. Nadaud, 1671.
    - Léonard Descordes, 1671-1692.
    - Jean des Ternes de Cheyrade, Doctor of Theology, 1692, died in 1731.
    - Pierre de Laplaigne, 1731-1756.
    – N… Robert, 1756.
    - Joseph Gérald, 1757-1763.
    - Jacques Cosse, 1763-1787.
    - François Caudeix de La Borderie, le 9 june 1787.
    - Martial Lemaçon, le 15 september 1787. I was deported to Spain. During his absence, and after La Terreur, Jean-Baptiste Massaloux, his vicar, held the curial functions from 17 May 1795 to 20 September 1797. Martial Lemaçon returned to Champsac at the Concordat, was again appointed parish priest, and died in 1806.
    - Pierre Jacquet, le 1er august 1806.
    - Jean-Baptiste Labrousse de Brogniat, le 1er october 1806.
    - Léonard Germain, 1810-1813.
    - Pierre Jacquet, 1813-1825.
    - François Juge, 1825-1837.
    - Léonard Larue, 1837-1849.
    - Jean Chrysosthôme Lacouchie, 1849-1862.
    - Antoine Lecler, 1862-1885.
    - Jean Martin Petit, 1885.

    The church of Champsac, measured internally, is 27 meters long and 6 meters 50 wide; it is a Romanesque construction that has been repaired at several times and in particular in 1628-1646, dates that can be found on the doors. The stone bell tower, which once stood on the transept, was demolished and replaced in 1850 by a wooden tower at the end of the nave.

    Vitraux champsac

    The bell bears this inscription: Sancte Johannes Baptista and Sancte Fiacri, orate pro nobis. - Godfather François Coustin, knight, lord of Mas-Nadaut; godmother Yzabeau de Camain, wife of Jean de Brie, squire, sieur de Mateguerre. Estant sindics, Me Jean Nadaut, nre, and Mre Jacques Buisson, shoemaker, Mre Barbe nre royal. -Noble Sir François de Brie, doctor of theology, parish priest. The year of grace 1628. - Pierre Charpentier made me weak.”  Another small bell out of service reads, in gothic letters "Ave Maria."

    The church of Champsac had another one that was taken to it during the Revolution. The parish registers make it known to us by this note: "In the present month of September 1751, we melted and rebuilt the second bell of our church in Champsac. The godfather was Mre Louis de Beaupoil de Ste Aulaire. seigneur de Gorre, and godmother Marie de Beaupoil de Ste Aulaire, his daughter. I, the undersigned parish priest, did the blessing of said bell, on the 10th of the month and year that on it. It weighs about nine quintals. Laplaigne, parish priest of Champsac."

    On July 16, 1587, Marguerite de La Rochefoucauld, widow of Claude de Bourbon-Busset, count of Châlus, etc., walked with François Limousin, painter of the city of Limoges, “to paint the churches of Lageyrac, Doumazac, La Chapelle-Montbrandeix, Champsac and Pageas, a belt outside and inside the temples of the said churches with the arms of the said lord.”  I, the undersigned parish priest, did the blessing of said bell, on the 10th of the month and year that on it. It weighs about nine quintals. Laplaigne, parish priest of Champsac."


    These weapons are of azure with three flowers of gold lily, with the stick of mouths perished in band; to the chief of Jerusalem who is of silver, to the chubby cross of gold quartered of four crosses of the same.

    Champsac’s presbytery was sold as a national property on 17 Thermidor an IV (4 August 1796), for the sum of 1,800 francs. (Archives de la Haute-Vienne, Q 151.).  In 1274, there was a leper infirmary in Champsac.

    • Localities

    The following villages can be found in this municipality :

    Bas Bady.
    Boussilles (Les).
    Bramefort.
    Branchie (La).

    Chandos ou Chandeau. — Martial Nadaud, a squire, born at Champsac Castle in 1558, is said to be lord of Champsac and Champdose (probably Chandos). His son Jacques left a legacy, represented at Champsac until 1776.

    Chez Brisebois.
    Chez Elie.
    Clarétis (Les).

    Courrière (La). — Near this village, 300 meters from the village, a small square chapel, with a simple construction, was built in 1532, in honour of Saint Roch, by a lady owner of the place of La Courrière, in execution of a vow that she had made to obtain, through the intercession of this saint, the healing of all the cattle in his fields, at a time when a contagious disease was rampant in the country.

    Croix (La). 
    Cros.
    Curmont.
    Dougneix (Le).
    Gabillou.
    Gorce (La).
    Jouandoux (Les).

    Jouveaux. — It is called “Mottes de Jouveaux”, two tumulus that are 58 metres apart. The first is in the commune of Champagnac; it was destroyed by ploughing the land where it was. The second is in the commune of Champsac; it was searched in 1889. We collected a very nice vase made in turn, a very oxidized cutlass, a large fibula, iron nails and a bronze nail.

    Grateloube. — There is a report of an underground refuge in this village.
    Graullier.
    Judie (La).
    Lande (La).
    Lande de Chandos, alias Chez-Ligat.
    Landou (Le).
    Lépine.
    Lussac.
    Maissonneuve.
    Mas du Puy.
    Maurie (La).
    Messac.
    Monnerie (La).
    Moulin du Cros.
    Moulin du Sage.
    Nailhac.
    Parade (La), alias Paradis.
    Petavigne (La).
    Plaisance.
    Pradelles.
    Pressouéras.
    Roche (La).
    Soude-Vieille.
    Therme (Le).
    Verdier (Le).
    Vergnole (La). 
    Vigne (La). 

    Source : Dictionnaire historique et géographique de la Haute-Vienne, de l'Abbé André Lecler (1834-1920) - Archives 87

  • Dournazac

    DOURNAZAC is a county town in the canton of Saint-Mathieu, which has an area of 3,780 hectares, and 2,503 inhabitants; its altitude is 291 metres above sea level, at its southern limit, on the bank of the Dronne, but it rises to its northern limit, at the Puyconnieux, up to 496 metres.

    • Ecclesiastical history

    Dournazac is a parish which was in the former archpriest of Nontron; it had for patronal feast the translation of Saint Sulpice de Bourges which was celebrated on August 27. By the end of the 18th century, there were 1,080 communicants, which indicates about 1,440 inhabitants. The parish chieflieu is indicated as priory in 1333 and 1335. The parish priests of Dournazac, in 1440, were appointed by the abbot of the Crown; when this abbey was united with the college of Clermont of the Society of Jesus in Paris, it was the rector of this college who made the appointments in 1640, 1653. After the union of Altavaux at the Jesuit college in Limoges, the rector of the college exercised this right of appointment in 1665.

    Finally, after the suppression of the Jesuits in 1763, it was the bishop of Limoges. Eymeric Daniel was parish priest of Dournazac at the end of the 12th century.
    - Frère Gérald in 1333.
    - Guy de Montbrun, was for a long time parish priest of Dournazac, before being elected bishop of Condom in 1458.
    - François Logerys, resigned in 1556 to the next.
    - Pierre Boylard, Parish priest in 1556.
    - Jean Garreau 1618-1629.
    - Jean Texandier ou Dexandier until 1652.
    - Gabriel Ruben, appointed in 1652.
    - Jean Parisien 1664.
    - François de Chabannes, 1665, 1686,
    - Jean Mornay 1691.
    – N… Peyraud 1694.
    - François Moustier 1700-1734.
    - Pierre Taraud, until 1763.
    - Jean François Vidaud 1763-1774.
    - N… Meytadier 1784.
    - Louis-Jean-Baptiste Cosse 1784, was deported to Spain, returned to Dournazac in 1802, and died in 1818.
    - Louis-Léonard Legros, appointed in 1818.
    - Pierre-Némorin Hugonneau-Beaufet appointed in 871.
    – Elie Bonnet in 1892.
    – Désiré Moex in 1897.
    - Barthélémy Joly in 1907.

    The church is a 12th-century Romanesque construction, consisting of a single nave and a shell vaulted apse with two apsidiols. In the middle of the transept is a cupola surmounted by a square bell tower, with two rather narrow bays on each side, on the first floor, and on the second floor.

    Two bells exist in this bell tower; on one inscription reads: Louis Léonard Legros, parish priest of Dournazac 1828. - Auguste Martin, Founder, Guyot Victor.” It weighs 144 kilos, and replaced one on which was the following inscription: Sancte Sulpici, ora pro nobis. - J. Garreau, parrin and M. de L. marine. - An M Vc IIIIXX XVIII.”

     

    The other bell bears this inscription: The year 1843. - Blessed by Louis-Léonard Legros, parish priest. My godfather is Léonard-Salomon Chatenet, mayor and notary in Dournazac, and godmother Madame Duverneuil, née Lamonerie Marguerite. Mr. Martin LagardeDesbordes, Assistant. - J.-B. Causard, Founder. - Prosper de Tournefort Lemovicensis episcopus." This bell, which weighs 712 kilos, was melted with the metal of another on which it was read: Ad laudem
    omnipotentis Dei, beatissima Virginis Mariae et sancti Sulpitii. Patrinus flees Iohannes de Compniac, dominus de Maulmont, matrina domina Magdalena de Bermondet comes from Busset, F. M. G. Fecit Barau, 1721.” The three initials above most probably refer to the parish priest: Franciscus Moustier capelanus.

    In 1569, the Calvinist troops that passed through Dournazac plundered the church and destroyed its cover.  July 16, 1588 Marguerite de La Rochefoucauld, widow of Claude de Bourbon, count of Busset, lord of Châlus, made a deal with François Limousin, painter of the city of Limoges, “to paint the churches of Lageyrac, Dournazac, La Chapelle-Montbrandeix, Champsac and Pageas, a belt outside and inside the temples of the said churches, with the arms of the said lord.”

    Le 27 août 1653 « fut établie, en l’église paroissiale de Saint Sulpice de Dournazac, la frairie du bienheureux saint Sulpice et nommé le premier frère de ladite frairie pour l’année advenir, que l’on comptait 1654, Léonard de Fayolle, fils à Aymeric, sieur de Puy-Roby. »

    Une chapelle dédiée à Saint Martin, placée en dehors de l’église, dans le petit cimetière existait à Dournazac en 1701. Il y en avait une autre, en 1659, dans le grand cimetière ; elle était sous le vocable de Notre-Dame de Pitié.

    • Histoire civile

    La paroisse de Dournazac a toujours été du diocèse de Limoges et en Limousin, mais pour l’administration de la justice son territoire était divisé en deux parties. Le bourg avec la plus grande partie de la paroisse Altavau, Bussière-l’Epine, Le Bost, Chanteloube, Chaumeix, Le Grand Clos, Dournadille, L’Eraudie, Fargeas, Ferrasse, La Guernaudie, Le Lac, Longe-Aigue, Mas-du-Loup, Montchaty, Puy-Roby, La Rougerie, La Vergne, Vigneras, étaient du ressort du sénéchal de Limoges et du Parlement de Bordeaux.

    La partie ouest du territoire avec Arrivaud, Bussière-Montbrun, Bord, Le Désert, L’Echanie, Le Genest, Le Lac, Laterie, Mappas, Montbrun, Puy-Conieux, Les Sauvages, La Soupèze, Viallebesoin, étaient du ressort du sénéchal de Montmorillon en Poitou, et du
    Parlement de Paris.

     

    • Lieux-dits

    Les villages de cette commune sont :

    Altavaux, que l’on nomme aujourd’hui Tavaux (Prieuré de Notre Dame d’), Beata Mariae de Altis vallibus, fut fondé en 1178, par Aymeric Brun, seigneur de Montbrun, sur la rive de la Dronne. Il y établit des religieux augustins de l’abbaye de la Couronne, qui en prirent définitivement possession le 23 août 1180. Jean de Veyrac, évêque de Limoges, consacra leur église le 5 octobre 1208. C’est dans cette église que les seigneurs de Montbrun avaient leurs tombeaux.

    En 1569 les calvinistes de l’armée de Coligny pillèrent et incendièrent ce monastère, qui ne se releva jamais complètement de cette ruine, et par décret du 13 août 1605, il fut uni au collège des Jésuites de Limoges ; le pape confirma cette union par bulle du 3 avril 1608. Aujourd’hui il reste à peine quelques bâtiments de cet ancien monastère, et la solitude y règne sur les rives sauvages de la Dronne. 

    Ont été prieur d’Altavaux :
    Guillaume Dinsel, 1181.
    – Pierre 1182.
    – Gombaud, vers 1182.
    – Gérald après 1182.
    – Arnaud de Clermont, vers 1200.
    – Hugues d’Aubeterre 1250.
    - Pierre de Saint-Macaire 1253.
    – Bernard 1256.
    – Arnauld 1256-1266.
    – Étienne 1270.
    – Aymeric de Bussière 1300-1310.
    – Pierre Brun 1314-1328.
    – Geoffroy, 1339-1385.
    – Raymond de Villars, 1424.
    – Ademard Ceret, 1458.
    – Adémar Gaye, 1463-1464.
    – G. de Montbrun 1501-1513.
    – Geoffroy de Montbrun, 1529.
    – Jean de Laromagière, 1536.
    – N. Minut. – Pierre Noaillac, 1563.
    – Pierre Deschamps, 1573.
    – Jean Charretier, 1579-1584.
    – Michel Augereau, 1585-1605.

    Arrivaud.
    Bèges (Les).
    Bessières (Les).
    Bussière l’Epine. — Pierre du Garreau en était seigneur en 1689. 
    Bussière Montbrun. — Des ruines de constructions romaines couvrent un espace de cent mètres carrés pris de ce village.
    Bort.
    Bost (Le).

    Brive (La). L’habitation qui portait le nom n’existe plus ; elle était à l’Ouest de la Goudonie. 

    Chadeau (Le). — Pierre de Casali ou du Chadeau appelé aussi Pellegrin, damoiseau, vivait en 1349. Le château du Chadeau, qui était près de celui de Montbrun, ne conserve qu’une de ses tours. Dans la cour est l’entrée d’un souterrain gallo-romain qui s’étend en forme de croix de vingt mètres environ. En 1876 on a trouvé une hache en silex, en faisant la route près de son entrée.

    Chanteloube, dont une partie est de la commune de Châlus.
    Chaumeix.
    Chaumeix (Moulin de), sur la Dronne.
    Chaumes (Les).
    Clos (Le).
    Grands Clos (Les).
    Croix-du-Bac (La) dont une partie est de la commune de La Chapelle-Monbrandeix.
    Chez-David.
    Désert (Le).
    Dournadille. — Sur les hauteurs qui dominent ce lieu au sud-ouest, se trouve le camp de la Rue, vastes retranchements qui occupent tout le sommet de la montagne.
    Echanie (L’).
    Eraudie (L’).
    Fargeas.
    Fantaisies (Les).
    Feuvas, ancienne forge, sur la Dronne.

    Ferrasse. — Entre ce village et celui de Laterie existe un des plus vastes camps retranchés et le mieux conservé. De forme ovale, il mesure près de 200 mètres dans son grand diamètre. Il est protégé dans toute sa circonférence par un escarpement de cinq mètres de hauteur. Une seconde redoute, élevée encore de cinq mètres, se trouve au centre de la première. Les bois taillés qui couvrent ce sommet ont contribué à la conservation de ce camp qui est de l’époque gauloise et que l’on nomme les Rudelles.

    Gane (La Grande et Petite).
    Gareille (La).
    Garnandie (La).
    Goudonie (La). — Jean de Laumonerie, sieur de La Goudonie, épousa en 1659 Françoise de Maumont, demoiselle du Chadaud. François Rouchaud, écuyer, seigneur de La Goudonie en 1681, portait pour armes d’or au lion d’azur, lampassé et couronné de gueules, sur une terrasse de sinople mouvant de la pointe.
    Genêt (Le). 
    Gouhaut.
    Lac (Le).
    Petit Lac (Le).
    Lachaud.

    Lambertie. — Le château de Lambertie, berceau de la famille de ce nom, construit au XIIe  siècle, à l’extrémité d’un plateau dominant la Dronne, était placé sur la limite même du Limousin et du Périgord, de telle sorte « qu’un acte passé dans son enceinte était soumis à une coutume différente suivant qu’il avait été fait dans une tour ou dans une autre. » Il fut pris et brûlé par les Anglais sous le règne de Charles VI. Pierre de Lambertie le reconstruisit un peu plus au nord, où il est aujourd’hui. De nouveau dévasté en 1569, par les troupes calvinistes de Coligny, il fut immédiatement réparé et agrandi.

    Ce château forme un quadrilatère avec une grosse tour à chaque angle. On y pénètre par un portail ouvert au nord dans le mur d’enceinte ; il est précédé d’un pont levis jeté sur le fossé qui l’entoure. À l’extinction de la branche aînée de la maison de Lambertie en 1712, la terre et le château passèrent, par droit de succession, dans les familles d’Aydie de Ribérac, de Chabans de Richemont, de Grand de Bellussière. Ils furent acquis, en 1828, par le marquis Bermondet de Cromières. C’est aux héritiers de ce dernier que le marquis de Lambertie de Cons-laGrandville les a achetés par contrat du 9 novembre 1875.

    Pendant le XVIIIe siècle le château de Lambertie ne fut plus habité que par des fermiers ou des régisseurs : faute de réparations il ne tarda pas à tomber en ruine Cette ruine était complète à la fin de la Révolution. Le nouveau propriétaire l’a fait reconstruire ; son
    ornementation architecturale est vraiment remarquable, et ses nombreuses tours et tourelles contribuent à le rendre un des plus intéressants de toute la contrée. Les armes de la famille de Lambertie sont d’azur à deux chevrons d’or.

    Lartige.
    Laterie — Un château fort existait en ce lieu au XIIe siècle François de Barbières, fils d’Aymeric et de Marie de Maumont, était sieur de Laterie en 1570 ses armes sont d’argent, à trois merlettes de sable, au chef d’azur chargé de trois étoiles d’or. Jean de Maumont, écuyer époux de Marguerite du Garreau, était seigneur de Laterie avant 1650. Maumont porte d’azur au sautoir d’or accompagné de quatre tours d’argent.

    Longeaigue.
    Mappas.
    Mas du Bost, ancienne forge sur la Dronne.
    Mas-du-Loup, alias Mardalou. — François de David de Lastours en épousant en 1685 Renée du Bouschaud de Mardaloup, devint propriétaire de ce lieu. Ses armes sont d’or à trois coquilles du Saint Jacques de sinople. Ce lieu est passé par droit d’héritage dans la famille de Maumont.

    Masnaud.
    Monchaty, Jacques de Chouly, écuyer, seigneur de Monchaty, Brie et Permangle, mort à l’âge de 75 ans, fut enterré dans l’église de Dournazac le 4 avril 1687. Ses armes sont d’azur à la fasce d’argent, surmontée de trois fleurs de pavot de même et une feuille de châtaignier d’or en pointe.
    Monnerie (La), alias Laumônerie. 

    Montbrun. — Ce lieu portait le nom de Trados lorsque Aymeric Brun y construisit son château en 1179. Ses descendants, qui prirent plus tard le nom de Montbrun, s’y succédèrent jusqu’à Elisabeth de Montbrun, qui en 1510, épousa Ponthus d’Estuer et lui porta la terre de Montbrun. Les armes de la famille d’Estuer sont d’argent au sautoir de gueules, et celles de la famille Brun ou Montbrun, d’azur à la croix d’or.

    Louis d’Estuer de Caussade, vendit en 1598 la baronnie de Montbrun à François de Lambertie. Marie de Lambertie, qui épousa en 1691 Hubert de Choiseuil, mourut sans enfants. Ses armes sont d’azur à deux chevrons d’or, et celles de son mari d’azur à la croix d’or cantonnée de vingt billettes du même, cinq en cinq en sautoir à chaque canton.

    Jean de Campniac, par droit de succession devint propriétaire de Montbrun. Ses armes sont d’argent à trois ancres d’azur. Marie de Campniac épousa en 1746, dans la chapelle du château de Montbrun, Alexis de Conan, dont les armes sont d’argent à trois roses de gueules. Alexis de Conan, leur petits fils fut le dernier seigneur de Montbrun.

    Pendant la Révolution, à l’instigation des représentants du peuple Brival et Borie (arrêté du 8 nivôse an II) le château fu pillé et dévasté. Les riches et précieuses archives qui y étaient conservées furent brûlées au milieu de la cour. La propriété fut divisée en plusieurs lots et vendue nationalement. Le lot contenant les restes du château fut acquit par M. Laumônerie.

    Le château construit par Aymeric Brun en 1179 était un vaste carré de quarante mètres de côté, avec une tour aussi de forme carrée à chacun de ses angles. Il en existe encore une qui mesure cent cinq pieds d’élévation, et à son sommet on voyait, avant les dernières réparations, son ancienne couronne de mâchicoulis et de créneaux, qui permettait de juger avec quelle hardiesse et quelle solidité ils avaient été placés à une semblable hauteur. À l’extérieur, deux contreforts plats l’appuyant sur chaque face dans toute sa longueur se relient au sommet en formant deux arcades plein cintre. Une fenêtre géminée la décore dans sa partie supérieure. Cette tour a six mètres vingt centimètres du côté. L’épaisseur de ses murs est de un mètre trente-trois centimètres. Plusieurs autres donjons de notre province ont été construits d’après ce modèle, ce sont ceux de Courbefy, du Chalard, de Lastours, d’Aixe, etc.

    Le château de Montbrun, qui était la forteresse la plus considérable de la contrée, tomba au pouvoir des Anglais. Un texte de l’époque nous apprend qu’Arnoul d’Andrehem, lieutenant pour le roi « es pays d’entre Loire et Dordogne » le prit sur les Anglais à la fin de l’année 1352 ou au commencement de 1353.

    Pierre de Montbrun, qui fut d’abord moine bénédictin, et abbé de Saint-Augustin de Limoges en 1413, puis évêque de ce diocèse de 1427 à 1456, reconstruisit le château qu’Aymeric Brun avait bâti en 1179, il conserva de ce dernier la tour carrée décrite cidessus, et l’entoura d’une tour ronde montant environ à la moitié de sa hauteur. Son plan fut a peu près le même que celui du premier château, mais ce sont des tours rondes qui occupent chacun de ses angles. Leur diamètre intérieur est de douze mètres.
    Ce second château, au XVIe siècle, eut aussi à souffrir des ravages des protestants, mais il fut habité jusqu’à la Révolution, comme il est dit plus haut.

    De nos jours MM. de Labonne l’ont fait sortir de ses ruines, et remis à peu près dans l’état où l’avait laissé l’évêque Pierre de Montbrun. Une petite chapelle, sous le vocable de Saint André, avait été construite avec le premier château et près de ses murs ; elle existe encore en partie. De plus on trouve que Jean de Montbrun, dans un acte du 13 août 1509, déclare qu’il a fait construire avec la permission de l’évêque, dans sa ville de Montbrun, une chapelle dédiée à la Sainte Trinité, et qu’il y a fondé une vicairie perpétuelle. Le vicaire sera tenu, à la fin de chaque messe acquittée, d’aller en l’église de Saint-André dire une absoute sur le tombeau où repose son épouse Jacquette de Bourdeilles.

    C’est cette dernière chapelle, dédiée à la Sainte Trinité, qui a quelquefois été qualifiée cure de Montbrun. Aujourd’hui il n’en reste rien. Mourillon, ou Chez-Mourillon. — Au-dessus de ce village, sur un plateau qui est à 247 mètres d’altitude, existe un camp retranché qui, sur les trois quarts de sa circonférence, est formé par l’escarpement du coteau. Du côté où il est accessible, on a élevé un fort rempart de terre.

    Grand-Puy-Conieux (Le). — Le sommet, qui est à 496 mètres d’altitude, a servi de point de repaire lors de la grande triangulation de Cassini, et plus tard aux officiers de l’État-Major qui dressaient la carte de France en 1845. Ce lieu était habité à l’époque romaine, comme le prouvent les nombreux débris de tuiles et de poterie qu’on y trouve.

    Petit-Puy-Conieux (Le).
    Pierre-Blanche.
    Puy-Grêle.
    Puy Roby, dont était seigneur, en 1654, Aymeric de Fayolles.
    Rougerie (La).
    Rudelles (Les), dont il est parlé ci-dessus, article Ferrasse.
    Sauvages (Les), fief que possédait la famille de Lambertie, à la suite d’une  alliance avec la famille des Cars. Ses batiments, près le château de Lambertie, sont ruinés.

    Soupèze (La).
    Tavaux, nom par lequel on désigne souvent Altavaux.
    Tavaux, ancienne forge sur la Dronne.
    Trenie.
    Grande Vergne (La).
    Petite Vergne (La).
    Viallebesoin.
    Vigneras. — François de Barbièyes, habitant Vigneras, demande, par son testament du 14 mars 1583, à être enterré dans l’église de Dournazac, où est le tombeau de ses prédécesseurs. Jean Roux, écuyer, était seigneur de Vigneras en 1702. Ses armes sont fascé d’argent et d’azur de six pièces, au chef d’azur à trois fleurs de lis d’or, et Jean de Gripière en 1787. 

    Source : Dictionnaire historique et géographique de la Haute-Vienne, de l'Abbé André Lecler (1834-1920) - Archives 87